expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Upcycled Sweater Birds

I love birds and especially at this time of year.  They are starting to appear in my yard and I can hear them chirping when I open my windows to air out the stale winter house air.  It has been a long winter here in Utah and the gray days are about to put me in the looney bin.  Seeing them flit around on the snow topped shrubs gives me hope that SPRING is on it's way.  HOORAY!
 
If you haven't noticed already, I enjoy making things out of recycled and felted wool sweaters. I thought it would be fun to see if I could use up some scraps and make a robin, after all I had the perfect orange sweater that would be ideal for the belly. 


I had so much fun making the robin that I drew up a few other birds and after a few prototypes and some funny looking birds, this is what I finally came up with.  I just love my feathery (well felty) friends. 

robin, cardinal, blue jay & sparrow



I stuck some thin paddle wire in their bellies and it works great to attach them to a basket, or wreath.  They make a great PIN CUSHION, and I think little kids would have a lot of fun with them.  Especially if you made a bunch of them made up.  I think I will do that for my grand kids some day.  I don't have any tiny hand around my house anymore.   I know my sisters cats would have fun with them, especially if we put a little catnip inside. 

So here is a little indoor project to help pass the time until we can go outside and get our hands in the dirt.
They are really quite easy to make.  All you wool sweater groupies, get out your felted scraps and get sewing.  You can use fleece and even just a cotton woven fabric would work.  The pattern is available in both my shops.  CRAFTSY & ETSY

Happy Sewing!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas HERE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover